- Know the pros. Everybody has natural (and necessary) mechanisms for ignoring pain and negative feelings. The harder thing to do is to let yourself feel the feelings fully, when you are ready, and deal with them. However, at times it can be important to ignore them for some time. For example, when they are too powerful for you to deal with, and you are not ready, when they interfere with a strong need, such as the need for survival, to work for money, to negotiate a tough situation with people who cannot support you with your feelings, or to protect yourself from temporary hazards.
- Know the cons. Read the warnings below. Hiding your feelings can delay your progress, can inhibit healthy communication and trust.
- Control your anger. Before anything else, the key is anger. As anger builds in you, it can be used to help block off thinking. Try to concentrate to be angry and to push it down.
- Stop feeling whatever it is If you wish to live with no sorrow, after you can control your anger well enough, begin to talk yourself out of sadness; to just not care. This is the next step in learning - to not lose yourself in emotions and feelings. Try to stop caring and say, i control my life. Be bold be strong. Try push it out of your head. Things wont bother you if you wont let them.
- Block out mental stresses and pain for physical pain. This system is a bit different because now you must endure before you can truly leave behind physical pain. This doesn't mean you have to cut yourself. You just have to accept the feeling of pain when you're hurt. Find a sparring partner, a close friend perhaps, preferably someone bigger.
- Focus. Now you must realize a truth in life. It's a truth that you will need to focus on. All your feelings come from thoughts and impulses in your head that tell you something is wrong or right, like a burn or a tickle. What you must do is realize that with enough pushing and controlled thought, you can change wrong to right, sorrow into happiness, etc. With pain, all you do is tell yourself it doesn't hurt. It seems simple, but is harder than one can truly imagine.
- Inspiring Quotes."" Will help you too. Try to look up inspiring quotes on google, they make you feel better. Try listening to songs that have strong lyrics. Know that this wont be forever.
- Don't be overconfident. Don't try to breeze through such a drastic change in one's self. Be safe about how you do this - no cutting, stabbing, or poking yourself intentionally. Life is full of pain and all you need to do is wait for it.
- Also, for the first and second steps, it might seem as though there isn't a lot of description to it. That is because only your own mind and way of thinking can judge how long it takes and how you must go about following those steps.
- This will drastically alter a person. The life it gives you can be a cold one. Don't ruin something good and don't do anything stupid when trying this. If one goes through with this change, be prepared. In fact, in my opinion, no one should ever try this if there are doubts in their minds.
- Do not think only about yourself- think about the other people you WILL hurt, such as your loved ones.
- Remember, though you will not feel pain or sadness, you will not feel happiness or joy either. Life is pain. If you subtract pain, you subtract joy.
- Do not be fooled into thinking that this way of life is peaceful!
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Ignore Pain and Feelings. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.